- Ph.D. Entomology (Biological Control) – University of Guelph
- M.Sc. Biology – Laval University
- B.Sc. Agronomy – Laval University
My research program focuses on integrated pest management (IPM) for the control of pest organisms (external and internal parasites) in livestock production and in organic systems. I develop and evaluate low-risk methods and products that could be of use for both conventional and organic production systems, with a special interest on plant-based repellents.
- Saponins as inducers of host resistance for insect and disease management in organic greenhouse production
- Bioactive products from plants and control of internal and external parasites in large ruminants
- Control of houseflies in poultry production
- Best management practices for control of nuisance flies dispersing through the Ontario grape and wine value-added industry chain
- Risk assessment of neoclassical biological control of Lygus bugs with Peristenus digoneutis in Canada
Selected Publications & Technical Reports
- Saha, S. and S. Lachance. 2020. Effects of essential oils on cattle gastrointestinal nematodes assessed by egg hatch, larval migration and mortality testing. Journal of Helminthology 94, e1111: 1-7.
- Woolley, C.E., Lachance, S., DeVries, T.J. and R. Bergeron. 2018. Behavioural and physiological responses to pest flies in pastured dairy cows treated with a natural repellent. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 207: 1-7.
- Lachance, S., Shiell, J., Guerin, M.T. and C. Scott-Dupree. 2017. Effectiveness of naturally occurring substances added to duck litter in reducing emergence and landing of adult Musca domestica (Diptera: Muscidae). Journal of Economic Entomology 110: 288-297.
- Palacio, S., Bergeron, R., Lachance, S. and R. E. Vasseur. 2015. The effects of providing portable shade at pasture on dairy cow behavior and physiology. Journal of Dairy Science 98(9): 6085-6093.
- Ward, D. and Lachance, S. 2015. House fly control in poultry barns / Lutte contre la mouche domestique dans les élevages de volailles, Publication 849/849F. Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA).
- Shepley, E., Vasseur, E., Bergeron, R., Villeneuve, A. and S. Lachance. 2015. Birdsfoot trefoil as a preventative treatment for gastrointestinal nematodes in pastured heifers. Canadian Journal of Animal Science 95: 1-5.
- Lachance, S. and G. Grange. 2014. Repellent effectiveness of seven plant essential oils, sunflower oil and natural insecticides against horn flies on pastured dairy cows and heifers. Medical and Veterinary Entomology 28(2): 193-200.
- Broadbent, A.B., Lachance, S., Sears, M.K. and H. Goulet. 2006. Native braconid parasitism of the tarnished plant bug (Hemiptera: Miridae) in Southern Ontario. Biocontrol Science and Technology 16(7): 687-698.