- Ph. D. Plant Agriculture - University of Guelph
- M.Sc. Plant Agriculture - University of Guelph
- B.Sc. Biological Science Honours - University of Guelph
My research focus is on integrated management of insect pests of field crops (corn, soybeans, and wheat) and resistance management for insect-protected transgenic corn and insecticides. I am interested in both basic and applied research to better understand the insect pests and how to improve long-term management of field crop pests for Ontario growers. Areas of expertise include:
- Integrated Pest Management
- Insect Resistance Management
- The interaction of insects and mycotoxigenic fungi
- Modernizing management of true armyworm in Ontario
- Mitigation and management of Cry1F resistance in European corn borer in Canada
- Mitigation and management of Bt resistant corn rootworm in Ontario
- Insect resistance monitoring for transgenic crops
- Integrated pest management and insecticide resistance management for western bean cutworm in Ontario corn
- In 2018, we discovered the first case of practical resistance to Bt corn within European corn borer, the original target pest of this technology, which was introduced to North America in 1996. Our expertise in IRM is utilized in preparing pest and resistance management information in consultation with growers, regulatory agencies and the pest management industry.
- I led a 4-year, Ontario-wide study on the efficacy and neonicotinoid seed treatments (NST) in corn and soybeans. This study is one of the largest on-farm, replicated field-scale evaluations of NSTs to date. Our research group has also investigated key sources of non-target NST exposure and determined best management practices for implementation by Ontario grain producers to mitigate these risks.
- My PhD research coincided with the establishment of western bean cutworm, (WBC) Striacosta albicosta (Smith) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in Ontario. My studies confirmed WBC overwintering in Ontario which was the first report outside of its native range in the southwestern US. My team has successfully established a rearing program for WBC to support resistance monitoring studies for transgenic corn and insecticides. We have also confirmed the association between WBC injury and mycotoxin contamination in corn and demonstrated effective management strategies for this pest complex. Ongoing research includes further development and evaluation of integrated pest management and IRM strategies for WBC.
- Grain Farmers of Ontario
- Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
- Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Corteva AgriScience
- NSERC Alliance
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency
- Canadian Corn Pest Coalition – Executive Member www.cornpest.ca
- NC-246: Ecology and Management of Arthropods in Corn. Multi-state research project
Department of Environmental Sciences
Department of Plant Agriculture
Potential Graduate Students
I am looking for enthusiastic graduate students who are interested in studying aspects of entomology, pest management, and agriculture. Experience in entomology, toxicology, ecology, molecular biology, population genetics, and agriculture are an asset. For more information, please contact me using the information above.
- Dively, G.P., Kuhar, T.P., Taylor, S., Doughty, H.B., Holmstrom, K., Gilrein, D., Nault, B.A., Ingerson-Mahar, J., Whalen, J., Reisig, D., Frank, D.L., Fleisher, S.J., Owens, D., Welty, C., Reay-Jones, F.P.F., Porter, P., Smith, J.L., Saguez, J., Murray, S., Wallingford, A., Byker, H., Jensen, B., Burkness, E., Hutchison, W.D., and Hamby, K.A., (2021) Sweet corn sentinel monitoring for Lepidopteran field-evolved resistance to Bt toxins. Journal of Economic Entomology. 113(5): 1-13. doi.org/10.1093/jee/toaa264
- Farhan, Y., Smith, J.L., Limay-Rios, V., and A.W. Schaafsma. (2020) The effect of simulated Lepidopteran ear feeding injury on mycotoxin accumulation in grain corn, Zea mays L. Journal of Economic Entomology. 113(5): 2197-2212. doi.org/10.1093/jee/toaa174
- Smith, J.L., T. Baute, and A.W. Schaafsma. (2020) Quantifying early season pest injury and yield protection of insecticide seed treatments in corn and soybean production in Ontario, Canada. Journal of Economic Entomology. 113 (5): 2187-2196. doi.org/10.1093/jee/toaa132
- Smith, J.L., Y. Farhan, and A.W. Schaafsma. (2019) Practical resistance of Ostrinia nubilalis (Lepidoptera: Crambidae) to Cry1F Bacillus thuringiensis maize discovered in Nova Scotia, Canada. Scientific Reports 9 (1): 18247. doi:10.1038/s41598-019-54263-2
- Smith, J.L., C.D. DiFonzo, T.S. Baute, A.P. Michel, and C.H. Krupke. (2019) Ecology and management of the western bean cutworm (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) in corn and dry beans – Revision with focus on the Great Lakes region. Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 10(1): 27. doi.org/10.1093/jipm/pmz025
- Farhan, Y., Smith, J.L., and A.W. Schaafsma. (2019) Susceptibility of different instars of Striacosta albicosta (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) to Vip3A, a Bacillus thuringiensis protein. Journal of Economic Entomology. 112(5):2335-2344. doi.org/10.1093/jee/toz118
- Schaafsma, A.W., Limay-Rios, V., Baute, T., and Smith, J.L. (2019) Neonicotinoid residues in subsurface drainage and open ditch water around maize fields in southwestern Ontario. PLoS ONE. 14(4): e0214787. doi.org/10.1371/ journal.pone.0214787
- Meihls, L.N., Huynh, M.P., Ludwick, D.C., Coudron, T.A., French, B.W., Shelby, K.S., Hitchon, A.J., Smith, J.L., Schaafsma, A.W., Pereira, A.E., and Hibbard, B.E. (2018) Comparison of six artificial diets for western corn rootworm bioassays and rearing. Journal of Economic Entomology. 111(6):2727-2733. doi.org/10.1093/jee/toy268
- Smith, J.L., Baute, T.S., Sebright, M.M., Schaafsma, A.W., and DiFonzo, C.D. (2018) Establishment of Striacosta albicosta (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) as a primary pest of corn in the Great Lakes region. Journal of Economic Entomology. 111(4): 1732-1744. doi.org/10.1093/jee/toy138
- Smith, J.L., Limay-Rios, V., Hooker, D.C., and Schaafsma, A.W. (2018) Fusarium graminearum mycotoxins in maize associated with Striacosta albicosta (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) injury. Journal of Economic Entomology 111(3): 1227-1242. doi.org/10.1093/jee/toy005
- Baute, T. and J. Smith. (2021) Addressing Bt-resistant corn rootworm. Top Crop Summit. February 23-24, 2021. Presentation to ~1600 growers and agribusiness professionals.
- Baute, T., Hodgson, E., Smith, J., and C. O’Reilly. (2021) Grain TALK Farmer Forum: Corn rootworm resistance. Grain Farmers of Ontario. February 7, 2021. Presentation and discussion with 42 growers and agribusiness professionals.
- Smith, J., DiFonzo, C., and T. Baute. (2021) IPM Mythbusters. Ontario Agriculture Conference. January 6-7, 2021. Ridgetown, ON. Presentation to ~1600 growers and agribusiness professionals.
- O’Reilly, C. Smith, J., and E. Shields. (2021) Bt-resistance Rootworm in Ontario. Ontario Agriculture Conference. January 6-7, 2021. Ridgetown, ON. Presentation to ~1600 growers and agribusiness professionals.
- Smith J., Farhan, Y., and A. Schaasfma. (2020) Corn Pests and Bt Resistance. Perennia Virtual Field Day. September 8, 2020. Invited oral online presentation to ~60 growers and agribusiness professionals in Nova Scotia.
- Smith J., Farhan, Y., and A. Schaafsma. (2020) Corn Pests, Bt Resistance, and Seed Treatments. 2020 Prince Edward Island Grains and Oilseeds Conference. March 4, 2020. Invited oral presentation to ~160 growers and agribusiness professionals.
- Smith J., Farhan, Y., and A. Schaafsma. (2020) Bt Resistance in European Corn Borer in Nova Scotia, Canada. New Brunswick Department of Agriculture. January 14, 2020. Invited Skype presentation to ~30 employees.
- Reisig, D. and J. Smith (2020) New Pest Problems? Southwest Agricultural Conference. Ridgetown, ON. January 7-8, 2020. Presentation to ~1600 growers and agribusiness professionals.
- Smith J., Farhan, Y., and A. Schaafsma. (2019) Bt Resistance in European Corn Borer in Nova Scotia, Canada. Indiana Certified Crop Advisors Conference. Indianapolis, IN. December 17-18, 2019. Invited presentation to ~670 certified crop advisors.
- Smith, J. and Farhan, Y. (2019) Corn Insect Pest Update and Duracade Training Workshop for Syngenta Agronomists and Licensees. Ridgetown, ON. July 18, 2019. Workshop presentation to ~70 agronomists, distributors, and consultants.
- Roddy, E. Baute, T., Farhan, Y., and Smith, J. (2019) Insect Resistance Management. 2019 Eastern Ontario Crop Diagnostic Day. Kemptville, ON. July 18, 2019. Workshop presentation to ~200 agribusiness, crop scouts, and consultants.
- Smith, J., Baute, T., Farhan, Y., and Roddy, E. (2019) Insect Resistance Management. 2019 Southwest Crop Diagnostic Day. Ridgetown, ON. July 3-4, 2019. Workshop presentation to ~300 agribusiness, crop scouts, and consultants.
- Smith. J., and Schaafsma, A. (2019) Assessment of the role of neonicotinoid seed treatments to manage early season corn and soybean pests in Ontario. National Farmer’s Union Meeting. Brigden, ON. April 17, 2019. Invited presentation to ~12 growers.
- Smith, J., Baute, T., and Schaafsma, A. (2019) A New Wave of Corn Pests. Cavendish Farms Corn, Soybean, and Grain Production Meeting 2019. March 14-15, 2019. Berwick, Nova Scotia and Sussex, New Brunswick. Invited presentation to ~100 agribusiness, crop scouts, and consultants.
- Baute, T., Schaafsma, A., and Smith J. (2019) Insect Insanity. Southwest Agricultural Conference. January 3-4, 2019. Ridgetown, ON. Presentation to ~1600 growers and agribusiness professionals.
View the complete list of Dr. Jocelyn Smith’s scientific publications on Google Scholar.