- Ph.D. (Agr.) Weed Science - University of Guelph
- M.Sc. (Bot.) Plant Pathology - University of Manitoba
- B. Sc. (Biol.) Plant Ecology - University of Winnipeg
My research interests are weed management in vegetable crops, the influence of cultural practices and soil fertility on crop-weed competition, and the effect of herbicide residues on production of vegetable crops. The management of weeds in vegetable crops has been a significant component of this research program, and currently is focussed on the development of integrated weed management strategies.
Recent or current projects include:
- Effect of bicyclopyrone residues on high value crops
- How do herbicide residues affect cover crop establishment, growth and ability to compete with weeds?
- Interactions between dinitroaniline, acetyl coenzyme A-inhibiting, and photosystem II-inhibiting herbicides in tomato
- How do cumulative stress factors (drift, hail and herbicide application timing) affect development and productivity of tomato?
View the complete list of Dr. Darren Robinson’s scientific publications on Google Scholar.
- Robinson, D.E.* and McNaughton, K. 2021. In preparation. Cultivar and application timing influence saflufenacil tolerance in processing pea. Weed Technol.
- Westerveld, D.B.*, Soltani, N., Hooker, D.C. Robinson, D.E. and Sikkema, P.H. 2021. Biologically effective dose of bromoxynil applied alone and mixed with metribuzin for the control of glyphosate-resistant horseweed in soybean. Weed Technol. 1-6. doi.org/10.1017/wet.2021.12
- Simonton, T.E.*, Robinson, D., Gillard, C., Jordan. K. and Trueman, C.L. 2021. Transmission of Xanthomonas gardneri to tomato seedlings during transportation and transplanting. Crop Prot. 141. doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2020.105472
- Willemse, C.*, Soltani, N, Benoit, L., Jhala, A.J., Hooker, D.C., Robinson, D.E., Sikkema, P.H. 2021. Early postemergence herbicide tank-mixtures for control of waterhemp resistant to four herbicide modes of action in corn. Agric. Sci. 12: 254-369.
- Langdon, N.M.*, Soltani, N., Raedar, A.J., Hooker, D.C., Robinson, D.E. and Sikkema, P.H. 2021. Time-of-day effect on weed control efficacy with tolpyralate plus atrazine. Weed Technol. 35: 149-154.
- Sikkema, P.H., Hooker, D.C., Westerveld, D.* and Robinson, D.E. 2021. Biologically effective dose of bromoxynil, applied alone and tankmixed with metribuzin, for the control of glyphosate-resistant Canada fleabane (Conyza canadensis) applied preplant in soybean. Presented at the 2021 Annual Meeting of the Weed Science Society of America (288)
- Robinson, D.E.* and McNaughton, K. 2020. Management of triazine resistant weeds in tomato. Presented at the 2020 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Weed Science Society (24)
- Willemse, C.*, Soltani, N, Hooker, D, Jhala, A., Robinson, D. and Sikkema, P. 2020. Control of multiple-herbicide-resistant waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus) in corn with postemergence herbicides. Presented at the 2020 Annual Meeting of the Canadian Weed Science Society (24)
Potential Graduate Students
I am looking for students interested in vegetable crop weed management, with an emphasis on mechanisms of competition or plant-soil relationships. Specific research questions include:
- How do herbicide residues affect vegetable production and cover crop function?
- How do you control weeds in vegetable crops, and what is the impact of competition on crop yield?
- How does cumulative stress affect development and productivity of vegetable crops?
Experience in plant ecology, plant-soil interactions, and/or weed science would be useful. For more information, please contact me using the information above.